Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Violin War and Pufferfish

We have no ambition to crowd and elbow ourselves into notice; but we feel that our highest place is at the feet of our Saviour. We look to Jesus, waiting for His hand to lead, listening for His voice to guide. – Thoughts from the Mount of Blessing, pg. 15
“Dominique, I’m so happy you’ll be playing your violin at Pedro Lorenzo today!” Pastor Marc remarked over Sabbath breakfast. I smiled. It was always a joy for me to be a blessing to the churches here in Bolivia.
“No, Dominique is playing at Hamacas church today, Marc!” Richard, our director at Red ADvenir (a Television station), protested.
Oh boy! Here they go…
They went at each other for a while, arguing about who’s church needed my playing most. It felt good to be wanted so badly in more than one place, and I prayed God would keep my pride from swelling up like a puffer fish.
“Where do you want to go, Dominique?” Marc probed. I expelled a sigh of relief and explained that I wanted to go to Pedro Lorenzo because it was a smaller congregation. Richard was a little upset, and he made me promise to play at Hamacas the following Sabbath. I smiled again and gave Richard my word.
Being a musician is a dangerous thing. It can make it very hard to keep my pride from becoming a puffer fish. Often it rears its ugly head, but by God’s grace, with constant prayer for Him to lead, He is slowly helping me to realize that my highest place is at His feet.

No comments:

Post a Comment